Proseminar Linguistics 2 (BA)
122048 PS 2022S
Vortragende der Germanistik:
Ziele, Inhalte und Methode der Lehrveranstaltung
Discourse Analysis, sometimes also referred to as Discourse Studies, comprises multiple fields of linguistic enquiry, methodologies and empirical approaches. These range from strongly quantitative corpus-driven and corpus-based studies (Corpus Linguistics) to highly qualitative and theoretically engages studies (Critical Discourse Analysis). While this heterogeneity has been criticized as a lack of coherence, as eclecticism or even as arbitrary, it has also inspired innovative and productive approaches - particularly in the combination of different methods (i.e. methodological triangulation). This course will engage with the heterogenous "toolbox of discourse analysis" (Foucault) and related critical debates, covering both well-established and recent approaches to analysing discourse.In this course, students gain:
- an understanding of the theoretical foundations of discourse analysis and related debates,
- an awareness of the methodological diversity in discourse analysis,
- an understanding of several key methods and approaches, including their strengths and weaknesses,
- an insight into what it means to work empirically, i.e. to design a discourse study, collect data and analyse it,
- an understanding of methodological triangulation as research strategy.
Art der Leistungskontrolle und erlaubte Hilfsmittel
The final grade is based on exercises, reading, active participation, and written assignments including a final paper at the end of term.
Will be posted on Moodle
All contents covered in the readings and in class.
Mindestanforderungen und Beurteilungsmaßstab
Regular class attendance (max 2 absences)
Participation, readings 10%
Literature search and literature review 20%
Research design outline 20%
Term paper plan 10%
Term paper (3500 words, excluding references and graphs) 40%
You need 60% to pass the course.
Plagiarism or cheating on any of the tasks will not be tolerated.